Wednesday, September 17, 2008

3. Blogs in the Classroom

Want to soften your classroom walls? Consider incorporating a blended (face-to-face and online) learning environment! Having your students actively participate in a class blog is a great way to integrate non-fiction writing, web 2.0 tools, and collaboration!

For example, you could have your students read a piece of text or watch an online video. Then have them post a response to what they read. Next, have them read each other's posts, and post a comment to at least 2 peer posts. To comment on a post, the reader simply clicks on "Comment" found at the bottom of the post that they're reading.

Click here to view a blog about assessing student blog postings.

Here are some examples of classroom blogs currently being used in the TDSB (also shown in the "Blogging to Learn in the TDSB!" blog list in the side panel of this blog):
Here are a few more classroom blog examples:
Here are some teaching-related blogs:
If you find some good examples of classroom blogs, please click "Comment" at the bottom of this posting and share the URL of this blog in your comment!

4 comments:

DFS said...

Are they still using this blog at Bowling Green State?

Mr. Libedinsky said...

Interesting examples. The variety shows the many different ways a blog can be used. I also wanted to bring some samples of my own students, who created their blogs as their culminating activities. For the Philosophy, grade 12 course, Angel Ju and Justin Dill explain their own "Philosophy of Life":
http://zombieinthepark.livejournal.com/
http://empororllid-philosophy.blogspot.com/

And Natasha Mendonca (Introduction to Anthropology, Psychology, and Sociology, grade 11), undertakes the topic of Polygamy in her blog

http://apsculminating.blogspot.com/

Enjoy!

Karen said...

I was amazed at the number of ways people are using blogs. I particularly enjoyed the Duck on the Playground blog, as we too, had a duck nest on the playground. It would have been great to document it's time with us.
I know of some other teachers using blogs to post homework. As a parent, I would appreciate having my sons homework assignments accessible to me at home. Having a parent volunteer up-date the homework really frees up teacher time.
As yet, I'm not sure how I would incorporate blogs into my teaching.

Unknown said...

Ahaa, its nice conversation on the topic of this post at this place at this weblog, I have read all that, so at this time me also commenting at this place.


-------------
Refinance loan