Wednesday, September 17, 2008

1. Start Here! Intro to Blogs

As you may have already noticed, the most recent blog postings will appear at the top of this webpage. For the purposes of this How-To blog, please begin here - at the bottom of the webpage - where the first posting appears!

Objectives Of This Blog
  • promote understanding of what a blog is
  • show you how to search for blogs
  • highlight examples of how blogs can be integrated into the curriculum and used in the classroom
  • guide you in the creation of your own blog using Blogger
  • show you where to access helpful blog resources
Blogs in Plain English

Created by: Lee and Sachi LeFevre of the Common Craft Show (www.commoncraft.com/show)
Note: this video was added using the "Add Video" feature in Blogger.

Create a Google Account!

To comment to postings on this blog as well as to create your own blog using Blogger, you will need a Google account.
  • If you already have a gmail email account, then you've already got a Google account (same username and password as your gmail account; and this account will work with any of Google's products)
  • If you don't have a gmail account, you can sign-up for a Google account using any existing email address that you wish (e.g., TEL/Hotmail/Yahoo/Rogers/Sympatico, etc.); click here to create a Google account
  • Please view this video to learn how to create your Google account
Discussion
What questions might you have about blogging?

Please share your ideas here! Simply click on "Comment" at the bottom of this posting and add your 2 cents! The more we share with each other, the richer we'll all be!

Note: you'll need either a Gmail account or a Google/Blogger account to be able to post comments. If you don't have either type of account, simply use your TEL/Hotmail/Yahoo/Rogers/etc. email address to sign-up for a Google/Blogger account at www.blogger.com.

8 comments:

Mr. Libedinsky said...

Hi!

This was such a great summary of the concept, however, for someone not familiarized with the idea of blogging, it went a bit fast. The way you put it together, plus the original illustrations -paper over white background- made an entertaining and helpful material. I'll keep following my schedule of activities. Bye for now!
Miguel

C. Fong said...

Hi Miguel,
I'm glad you found the video to be helpful! If it was a little fast, feel free to revisit it and pause/rewind when ever you need to hear something again!

I can't take credit for the video. It was created by Lee and Sachi LeFevre of the Common Craft Show (www.commoncraft.com/show).

ZoneofPD said...

I also found this video a great intro to where blogs fit in terms of media and why they are so significant. I am really a visual learner and the animation was a big hook for me. I think I now get how they create community, whereas before I just saw them as public diaries.

Anonymous said...

Blogger is a great tool and the way you've presented the resources is excellent...getting gmail accounts for kids may be a roadblock for some teachers, especially at the elementary level.. again, excellent setup!

Anonymous said...

I had trouble viewing the video - I kept getting the investing one instead. What am I missing?

C. Fong said...

Hi Paula,
Are you clicking right in the video window?

~Cresencia

Karen said...

I really didn't understand what a blog was and I found the video very informative. Now that I've seen the video, I think I'll need help figuring out how to use blogging with my classes. I was thinking that through a blog, students could share research that they done related to social studies and science curriculum, however the blogs I've been exposed to seem to be more in the line of personal narratives..... although sharing research could be perceived as sharing "news", right?

Karen said...

Although I'm a teacher librarian, I also teacher .5 music and lately have been using the computer more and more with my classes, so I typed in "music theory" to my Google Blog Search. I found the following site interesting and useful (with a fun video on "creative juices")
http://young-composer-talk.blogspot.com/